"Squeeze the World"
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
goodbyes
Yesterday was my last day at the school. It was quite the heart breaking experience. When I first came in, I got my first card addressed to "Savta Anna Bannana" and a bunch of flowers picked from the yard. I kept getting more and more cards throughout the day and random hugs from the kids. But now it's over and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to work there. It's pretty amazing to think that I've been there since Sukkot. There have been a lot of changes around the place. A volunteer who's been in the kindergarden is leaving this Sunday, and another school volunteer left the day before me but will return in a week or so. So, it's going to be an interesting transition for the place.
Then today I took a trip to Nazareth Village to say goodbye to everyone there. I went fully determined that I was not going to work. I almost didn't take sandals just as insurance. But... I ended up dressed up in costume serving meals to a Chinese American group in the pouring rain. It was a fun time and I'm glad that I did, but it's just another example of things not going how I plan. Saying goodbye was hard, but I'm feeling a much greater peace about everything.
Tonight was a going-away party in the Young Woman's Bible Study for both me and the Gan volunteer. She's studying social work in Germany and has to go to class the day after she arrives. I do not envy her at all. Anyway... it might snow in Jerusalem tomorrow. Crazy stuff. Maybe it won't be such a weather adjustment.
Then today I took a trip to Nazareth Village to say goodbye to everyone there. I went fully determined that I was not going to work. I almost didn't take sandals just as insurance. But... I ended up dressed up in costume serving meals to a Chinese American group in the pouring rain. It was a fun time and I'm glad that I did, but it's just another example of things not going how I plan. Saying goodbye was hard, but I'm feeling a much greater peace about everything.
Tonight was a going-away party in the Young Woman's Bible Study for both me and the Gan volunteer. She's studying social work in Germany and has to go to class the day after she arrives. I do not envy her at all. Anyway... it might snow in Jerusalem tomorrow. Crazy stuff. Maybe it won't be such a weather adjustment.
A, 3:31 PM
2 Comments:
Anna Banana! It won't be too bad of a transition weather wise. No snow, but still a bit chilly and windy. Safe travels and I want to know when you get back! God bless and maybe see you soon!
What will I do in the mornings, while drinking my coffee, without my "Squeeze the World" update? Please write one more after you get home to tell us about your journey home as well as how you transitioned.
Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to write these wonderful and funny letters.
Be safe getting home and God speed.
Love
Aunt Da
Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to write these wonderful and funny letters.
Be safe getting home and God speed.
Love
Aunt Da
, at 3/15/2007 6:17 AM

