"Squeeze the World"

Here I hope to record the next adventure of my life and keep everyone back home updated on my travels. I'm not sure how consistent my posting will be, so I've set up a subscription tool to notify people on each update via email. I'd love to hear from anyone while I'm gone!

Friday, February 09, 2007

protests on Temple Mount

I first heard about the protests on the Temple Mount this afternoon, but I couldn't find much information online. However, after a Bible study tonight I listened in on a conversation. The speaker, who lived in the Old City during the intifada, described the video footage as being almost identical to the scenes of the infamous Friday six years ago. Rioters threw rocks while security officials are pulled through the crowd on gurneys, and then the camera switches from the plaza to the streets and back again. I just checked half a dozen news sites to gather what information I could find, and this (www.haaretz.com) story had the most information. Briefly, though, Israel wants to make a ramp leading to the Temple Mount more secure, I don't think they've gone through all the proper channels yet (Jordan maintains the Mount), and people have used the opportunity to protest. It isn't clear from the different news sources whether the main protesters were Palestinians, Israeli Arabs, or foreign Muslims, but there was also an organized protest in Nazareth today, likely by Israeli Arabs. It's very legal to organize protests in Israel, and they're usually very peaceful, today being no exception. Another exciting day in the Middle East!

Oh! And here's a diagram I've yoinked from BBC.com of the work being done:
A, 2:22 PM

1 Comments:

Hmmm - perhaps you can wait a few weeks before you decide to go visit Jerusalem by yourself. Is yoinked really a word?
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/09/2007 3:09 PM  

Add a comment