"Squeeze the World"
Monday, January 29, 2007
mahaba!
So, it's my first day in Cairo. We didn't leave the flat until late because we slept in after arriving in the airport at 2:30am, weary and tired of airports. The later flight that we caught was a full twelve hours different from our original flight, so we had a lot of time to read. Thankfully, I think our waiting time prepared us well for going through security. Usually in those situations, we're anxious and in a hurry, but this time we knew we had plenty of time, we felt rather at home at the airport, and everything really went smoothly. During one phase, we were pulled out of the rest of the lines, but I think it was because of our destination more than whatever profile we match. And after that, we had a whole new part of the airport to explore! Yofi!
So today we went on a little boat on the Nile, which was really quite gorgeous, and that was so relaxing, as well as awe-inspiring. It's amazing to come across bodies of water which have had so much history based around them. It took my entire self-discipline to not splash my hand into the river. That's just what you do in a boat, you know? But the Nile is so infected by pollution and parasites that really even just an innocent splash can haunt your health.
We walked around part of Cairo for a while, visited some restaraunts and explored the culture. It really is much different than any other place I've been. Some things are very similiar, but only enough that it seems contradictory. That's really the best way I can explain it so far. Also, since Cairo is such a vast city, I think that it's impossible to really catagorize it.
The contact we're staying with has been leading the youth activities in an international church, and they're planning an Israel trip for a month from now. So we went along to the planning meeting, to give insights and comfort the parents some. It didn't help that there was just a suicide bomber in Eilat, first in Israel for nine months now. But, most of them seemed excited about the opportunity, and it was cool that we got to talk to them about our own experiences. Also, I got to play some fooseball afterwards and that was quite refreshing.
So today we went on a little boat on the Nile, which was really quite gorgeous, and that was so relaxing, as well as awe-inspiring. It's amazing to come across bodies of water which have had so much history based around them. It took my entire self-discipline to not splash my hand into the river. That's just what you do in a boat, you know? But the Nile is so infected by pollution and parasites that really even just an innocent splash can haunt your health.
We walked around part of Cairo for a while, visited some restaraunts and explored the culture. It really is much different than any other place I've been. Some things are very similiar, but only enough that it seems contradictory. That's really the best way I can explain it so far. Also, since Cairo is such a vast city, I think that it's impossible to really catagorize it.
The contact we're staying with has been leading the youth activities in an international church, and they're planning an Israel trip for a month from now. So we went along to the planning meeting, to give insights and comfort the parents some. It didn't help that there was just a suicide bomber in Eilat, first in Israel for nine months now. But, most of them seemed excited about the opportunity, and it was cool that we got to talk to them about our own experiences. Also, I got to play some fooseball afterwards and that was quite refreshing.
A, 3:04 PM
2 Comments:
fooseball=one of the many ways i dominate. :D
, at 1/29/2007 8:33 PM
Nate - if I remember correctly...it was your dad and Gene that dominated against you and Matt at Christmas...
, at 1/30/2007 6:49 PM
