"Squeeze the World"

Here I hope to record the next adventure of my life and keep everyone back home updated on my travels. I'm not sure how consistent my posting will be, so I've set up a subscription tool to notify people on each update via email. I'd love to hear from anyone while I'm gone!

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

march of the Haredim

After school got out today, I needed to lock up a gate at a building nearby (I had been hauling boxes to it). The gate opened into the main street, and the locks were very confusing. It was slightly frusterating, but my main source of discomfort was the various crowds of Haredim Jews walking by, and probably wondering what in the world I was doing. Actually, they really aren't supposed to even look at me, but I'm sure that they just learn how to watch women through their sidelocks.

Anyway, I'm used to seeing a few Haredim walking by at that time, but they just kept on coming, it was like a full parade! When I returned to the rest of the group, we made different hypotheses on the situation, and decided that they were doing a tour of Rabbis graves for Hannukkah. Or something like that. Tiberias is one of the four holy cities of Judaism, due to the amount of revered rabbi graves and because they organized various rabbinic documents here. While we were standing there, we saw at least 200 walk by, and kept on seeing busses of them around. Pretty crazy.

The kids are doing a Hannukkah program at the end of the week, so we're trying to get several projects finished before then so the parents will be all impressed. Meaning: LOTS of work.
A, 11:17 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment