"Squeeze the World"
Wednesday, December 27, 2006
Craziness!
I was anticipating an intense day of insanity today, but thankfully I got a little break. After working at the school then rushing our way to Nazareth, we got a call that the program tonight was canceled. I had been anticipating this ever since I heard the weather report for the week, but since the word didn't arrive until this afternoon, I had to prepare myself for it. The precipitation has picked up in the last couple days and the temperature has dropped so much that they actually predicted snow in Nazareth. I haven't heard any confirmation on that yet, but I do know that it is snowing in Jerusalem as I type.
I'm sure that this is all extremely wimpy to everyone back home as you look out your window into the glaring white snow surrounding you, but it's a pretty big deal here. For one thing, imagine yourself in first century garb, including sandals and no gloves or ear muff things, and slipping through mud while trying to play a delightful mid-eastern melody on a temperamental wooden flute. It's especially hard if you aren't exactly sure how to play delightful mid-eastern melodies. And another thing: Nazareth is in no way prepared for snow fall. It's worse than San Francisco: The streets are suicidal in good weather, Californians are polite compared to Israeli drivers (and downright hospitable compared to Arab Israeli drivers), and they own no snow plows. Not to mention that snow is so rare that everyone would be running in the streets trying to catch snowflakes on their tongue. In short, I'm glad that we didn't go through with the performance tonight, especially since it meant an impromptu movie night, which are always fun.
I'm sure that this is all extremely wimpy to everyone back home as you look out your window into the glaring white snow surrounding you, but it's a pretty big deal here. For one thing, imagine yourself in first century garb, including sandals and no gloves or ear muff things, and slipping through mud while trying to play a delightful mid-eastern melody on a temperamental wooden flute. It's especially hard if you aren't exactly sure how to play delightful mid-eastern melodies. And another thing: Nazareth is in no way prepared for snow fall. It's worse than San Francisco: The streets are suicidal in good weather, Californians are polite compared to Israeli drivers (and downright hospitable compared to Arab Israeli drivers), and they own no snow plows. Not to mention that snow is so rare that everyone would be running in the streets trying to catch snowflakes on their tongue. In short, I'm glad that we didn't go through with the performance tonight, especially since it meant an impromptu movie night, which are always fun.
A, 12:13 PM