"Squeeze the World"
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Oy Vey.
Today was a mixed day of pleasure, anguish, and exhaustion. Maybe the second adjective is slightly melodramatic, but I find it appropriate. It started out well with me slightly over-sleeping my alarm yet feeling the freedom to take my time. I was pleased to discover that most of the staff were back from vacationing on the Egyptian shores (not fair) and in good spirits. Two men from Brazil who took a tour, then I went back to sewing and pricking my fingers with the needle (this is not the anguishing bit of the story). While I was there, sewing with Evone, I resolved in my mind that I would make the trek to her house to visit her tonight. Between working at the Village and starting my Great Adventure, I went home to eat, rest, and respond to emails. I first ate, then turned to my computer. Great was my despair when I discovered that the internet was again disabled! It was like I heard a multitude of voices cry out, then suddenly silenced! (I know I butchered that line, I would google it if google would load rabblerabblerabble)
Instead of panicking, I made up my mind to take my laptop back to the Village's building and use their wireless. So, since the offices were closed, I was stuck sitting outside a restaurant, checking email and news and whatnot. The boys working there were moving objects around and spraying things with water, so I tried my best to stay out of their way. Then one actually approached me and was asking about my computer. He went along with whatever he was doing, then came back again and asked if I would sell it to him. This thought was rather terrifying to me, and I think it must have showed on my face because he didn't try talking to me after that.
After realizing that I didn't have any insomniac friends in the States who were about to send me emails, I returned my laptop to the apartment and walked over steep hill after steep hill and finally found Evone's home. Actually, I found her neighbor's home first, but she kindly pointed me in the right direction. When I got there, I made the mistake of telling her that I had ate "a little bit," so she was determined to feed me a full meal. Her mother speaks less English than I do Arabic, but she was very capable of motioning me to either sit or eat, and she never seemed happy when I wasn't eating. Since I didn't know how to politely refuse in Arabic, I ended up eating much more than I had intended. Later in the evening, her sister and brother-in-law came over. He seemed delighted to have other people to talk to, so he talked to me extensively about Armenian Mafias. Apparently there are three Armenians in the US Senate? I would have never guessed. Then his Armenian friend also came, and so I listened to their conversations for a while, which was pretty entertaining since they are all very expressive. Every time Evone would prepare to call a taxi for me, someone would protest, so I didn't get home until pretty late. Fortunately, I think this ends my mental to-do list for today. Good night, and may all of your wildest dreams come true.
Instead of panicking, I made up my mind to take my laptop back to the Village's building and use their wireless. So, since the offices were closed, I was stuck sitting outside a restaurant, checking email and news and whatnot. The boys working there were moving objects around and spraying things with water, so I tried my best to stay out of their way. Then one actually approached me and was asking about my computer. He went along with whatever he was doing, then came back again and asked if I would sell it to him. This thought was rather terrifying to me, and I think it must have showed on my face because he didn't try talking to me after that.
After realizing that I didn't have any insomniac friends in the States who were about to send me emails, I returned my laptop to the apartment and walked over steep hill after steep hill and finally found Evone's home. Actually, I found her neighbor's home first, but she kindly pointed me in the right direction. When I got there, I made the mistake of telling her that I had ate "a little bit," so she was determined to feed me a full meal. Her mother speaks less English than I do Arabic, but she was very capable of motioning me to either sit or eat, and she never seemed happy when I wasn't eating. Since I didn't know how to politely refuse in Arabic, I ended up eating much more than I had intended. Later in the evening, her sister and brother-in-law came over. He seemed delighted to have other people to talk to, so he talked to me extensively about Armenian Mafias. Apparently there are three Armenians in the US Senate? I would have never guessed. Then his Armenian friend also came, and so I listened to their conversations for a while, which was pretty entertaining since they are all very expressive. Every time Evone would prepare to call a taxi for me, someone would protest, so I didn't get home until pretty late. Fortunately, I think this ends my mental to-do list for today. Good night, and may all of your wildest dreams come true.
A, 12:39 AM
1 Comments:
So where was the anguish part? Was it the same as the despair part?
We have so enjoyed reading of your life. We pray for your continued safety.
Love
Aunt Da
We have so enjoyed reading of your life. We pray for your continued safety.
Love
Aunt Da
, at 9/06/2006 7:25 AM
