"Squeeze the World"

Here I hope to record the next adventure of my life and keep everyone back home updated on my travels. I'm not sure how consistent my posting will be, so I've set up a subscription tool to notify people on each update via email. I'd love to hear from anyone while I'm gone!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

I'm big in Chile

A production company from Chile came to NV today to get some shoots for a documentary they're making. They make shows for the mountainous people of Chile to show them the outside world, and tend to focus on other famous mountains. They've been in the Himalayas numerous times, and I was pretty jealous. Anyway, most of the workers were busy so a lot of their film involves me walking from building to building or pulling pots out of cisterns. The director kept refering to me as the Virgin Mary which was a little odd. I couldn't decide on an appropiate response, so I just told him that my mom's name was Mary. I don't think he knew how to respond to that, so we were even.

I did some more packaging and wrapping in the Giftshop today to take a break from sewing. It was an entertaining time, a girl my age works in there and Luke (the new volunteer) and I were trying to explain some of the different aspects of American culture. She couldn't grasp the idea of working 9-5 and a half hour lunch break. Work here is 9-4 max with lunch being a big social event, not to mention that they often take breaks for general conversational purposes and there is never an inappropiate time to talk on a cell phone. It was interesting because I've never considered Americans "unsocial" at all, but then, I enjoy my private space.
A, 2:23 PM

8 Comments:

UhHmmm. Your Mom's name IS Mary (not was!). I'm still alive and kicking!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/28/2006 5:26 PM  
Oops, I confused my tenses :)
Blogger A, at 9/28/2006 10:55 PM  
You are both wrong - Your name is and was MARY BETH
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/29/2006 5:04 AM  
But Nancy is Adopted and I'm still Dave
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/29/2006 5:38 PM  
you're big in chile, i'm huge in japan. wanna hang out sometime? :)
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/29/2006 11:01 PM  
Here is proof that Nathan is huge in Japan
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/arobin/Misc/NateJapan-1.jpg
Blogger Pastor Andy, at 9/30/2006 8:48 AM  
You guys are too funny! I love family ribbing!
Blogger Crescent, at 9/30/2006 9:01 AM  
Ya'll'r' nuts.

Yes, Linda, that was for YOU! And everyone else, but they don't live in Texas.
Blogger A, at 9/30/2006 1:18 PM  

Add a comment