"Squeeze the World"

Here I hope to record the next adventure of my life and keep everyone back home updated on my travels. I'm not sure how consistent my posting will be, so I've set up a subscription tool to notify people on each update via email. I'd love to hear from anyone while I'm gone!

Monday, August 14, 2006

So, the wedding went fairly well. I had never been to a Catholic wedding before, so between that and everything being in Arabic, I didn't know what was going on most of the time. It started out with everyone waiting for Mira outside- it's customary for the groom's family to escort her to the service. When she came, everyone huddled around to see her (she was beautiful, as always) and the groom kissed everyone, then they took several hundred pictures as everyone else went inside.

When they came into the church, the lined up in the front, and it sounded like they had several prayers or blessings, we could never figure out if we were supposed to be standing or sitting. Then Mira's sister read a scripture, and it they did their vows. Arabs are very lenient with their children, especially the boys, so they always run around screaming when they get bored. Unfortunately, the church echoes really well, and then they were punctuated by the church bells. That is a part of the culture that I don't know if I'll ever get used to.

At the end, we had an assembly line to greet the whole wedding party and the favors were at the end. Somehow the little kids got candy bars and all I got was a dish with mints. But I guess that's okay.

There were several sirens last night, and I don't know how much faith I have in this truce going on, but I guess both sides have reason to be cautious and prepared for anything.

Also, another person came today to look at my internet problem. He also seemed troubled by my using a Macintosh, but he was quite impressed by the animated dock. He's supposed to come back either tomorrow or the next day, and a man from the Village will come, too, so maybe the repairman will take it more seriously.
A, 3:13 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment