"Squeeze the World"

Here I hope to record the next adventure of my life and keep everyone back home updated on my travels. I'm not sure how consistent my posting will be, so I've set up a subscription tool to notify people on each update via email. I'd love to hear from anyone while I'm gone!

Friday, August 18, 2006

In which a saga closes

Let there be great rejoicing from the corners of the earth for I have reclaimed my internet connection! After weeks of busy signals and irresponsible techies, my labors are rewarded and I regain my access to the global community. Hurrah! As I suspected, it was a simple fix (something electrical? I didn't quite understand) which temporarily gave me no electricity to my apartment, but that was fortunately fixed about three weeks faster than my former ordeal.

And another entertaining anecdot from Village tours. Yesterday, a tour group scheduled for a time after usual hours (we're accommodating during slumps) so Michelle and I were the only villagers on the land. Trying to make the place look as busy as possible, I went to fetch a basket from one house while she was going to harness a donkey. So, I was greatly surprised when I left the house to see several unharnessed donkeys trotting down the path. (Cue episode 3 Darth Vader: Nooooooooooooooooo)

Fortunately, they were more interested in food than escape, and we found them grazing at the bottom of the hill. So, we set up a system where we each harness a donkey, then she would drag them back to their stable while I made sure that none ran off and tried to make sure that it looked "normal" when the group came by. Of course, just as she returned with the harnesses, the group followed right behind her and enjoyed watching us trying to corner and capture the hungry animals.

As she returned up the path, the night watchman came by and asked if we were done with the animals. I said "uh... yeah" and he promptly swatted their bottoms and yelled in Arabic, and they ran straight up to the stables, passing Michelle on their way. We only felt a little foolish afterwards.
A, 2:13 PM

2 Comments:

Donkeys 5
Anna & Michelle 0
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/20/2006 5:07 PM  
Well, you are having noteworthy experiences! I'm home and glad to hear things are happening fine.
Blogger Florence Robinson, at 8/20/2006 9:12 PM  

Add a comment