"Squeeze the World"

Here I hope to record the next adventure of my life and keep everyone back home updated on my travels. I'm not sure how consistent my posting will be, so I've set up a subscription tool to notify people on each update via email. I'd love to hear from anyone while I'm gone!

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Late posts...

I didn't have internet access nearly as soon as I expected, but I plan on fixing that as soon as possible. Here's one that I wrote while I was bored on the plane, and the rest should be soon to follow:

I am typing this while still on the plane, just passing over the Sea of Crete. It is not even dark back home, and kids are probably lighting smoke bombs in the street to torture the neighbor's dogs.

It's been a crazy time so far. Our first flight from Seattle was delayed for an hour because the lights had no power and we couldn't board. I sat next to a lady heading for Munich, I'm sure she and her grandchildren have gotten there by now, for we passed it several hours ago.

Once we finally left Heathrow airport, Brian, Erin and I took the tube into London. In the same car were some very entertaining ladies and a darling little girl. However, the train ahead of us had electrical difficulties (notice a pattern?) and we were stuck in the dark for a good ten minutes. We switched lines and suddenly hit the rush, so we surfaced and rode a double decker bus until we reached Westminster. We walked around the Cathedral for a while, but we really only had an hour of free time. It was amazing to look at the various paintings and carvings while a chorus of "Hail Mary, blessed and..." echoed through the walls.

We walked around the area some more and couldn't figure out where we were until we came across Victoria Station, where my mom and I had been exceptionally lost about six years ago. Then we had to take the long trip back to the airport.

There are several Orthodox Jews onboard, and I don't think the woman next to me speaks any English. I felt a little sheepish pulling out a workbook that has large, colorful words advertising "Learn Hebrew in 10 minutes a Day!" It is a very good workbook, but I wish the cover was a little more subtle.

We're supposed to land in less than an hour, and hopefully I'll be able to find an open network in order to post this. God bless you all, I already miss you.
A, 3:24 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment