"Squeeze the World"
Sunday, May 07, 2006
What a weekend!
I am one of the most blessed people I know. This weekend, I saw both of my brothers, met Erin (who I will be traveling with) and her family, and attended Tyler's senior recital. On top of that, I found out that my family has been collaborating to give me a laptop, my very own iBook! It works wonderfully and I'm already getting used to using a Mac.
Church was great this morning, despite urgent threats of rain, and Erin's family enjoyed it. Afterward, we went to Camino Real and stuffed ourselves and spilled water everywhere- good times had by all. Bryan was also there, and we tried to decide the best course of action for our eight hour layover in London.
Later, Bryan forwarded an email from the Moores; here is an excerpt describing the first few weeks:
"I will be meeting you guys at the airport with great anticipation and hugs! (We will also return you to the airport when you leave...This is the Middle East, if we didn't show this type of hospitality then we would be disowned by our clan!)
We will start off in Jerusalem and touring the Judean Hills and Dead Sea area...you will love this! Then we will travel north to the Galilee and tour that area. This tour time is also a Biblical study time...I am a tough tour guide! Michael would say that I am 'grueling' or maybe he says 'crueling', I think that he says this in love and admiration!
I will intersperse the study/touring time with a lot of cultural training. Israel is so diverse, so you will get a serious dose of multi-cultural experience (cultural & religious insights, customs, host/guest obligations, traditions, holidays, work ethics, etc.) I hope that this is both spiritually challenging and helpful as you are praying through future career decisions. That is all so exciting...can't wait to see how the Lord directs!
I have Anna, Erin and you scheduled to volunteer at the Nazareth Village while you are in the Galilee in-between more touring. You will really enjoy this experience and I know that you guys will be such a blessing to the ministry and to the locals that you will be interacting with while you live in old Nazareth. This is an Arab community now and besides serving in the Jewish community and the Nazareth Village, our family also works with a local Arab Congregation that I hope to get you guys involved with (especially with the youth group). This will be major Middle East Cross-Cultural Studies 101 crash course!"
Sounds like fun!
Church was great this morning, despite urgent threats of rain, and Erin's family enjoyed it. Afterward, we went to Camino Real and stuffed ourselves and spilled water everywhere- good times had by all. Bryan was also there, and we tried to decide the best course of action for our eight hour layover in London.
Later, Bryan forwarded an email from the Moores; here is an excerpt describing the first few weeks:
"I will be meeting you guys at the airport with great anticipation and hugs! (We will also return you to the airport when you leave...This is the Middle East, if we didn't show this type of hospitality then we would be disowned by our clan!)
We will start off in Jerusalem and touring the Judean Hills and Dead Sea area...you will love this! Then we will travel north to the Galilee and tour that area. This tour time is also a Biblical study time...I am a tough tour guide! Michael would say that I am 'grueling' or maybe he says 'crueling', I think that he says this in love and admiration!
I will intersperse the study/touring time with a lot of cultural training. Israel is so diverse, so you will get a serious dose of multi-cultural experience (cultural & religious insights, customs, host/guest obligations, traditions, holidays, work ethics, etc.) I hope that this is both spiritually challenging and helpful as you are praying through future career decisions. That is all so exciting...can't wait to see how the Lord directs!
I have Anna, Erin and you scheduled to volunteer at the Nazareth Village while you are in the Galilee in-between more touring. You will really enjoy this experience and I know that you guys will be such a blessing to the ministry and to the locals that you will be interacting with while you live in old Nazareth. This is an Arab community now and besides serving in the Jewish community and the Nazareth Village, our family also works with a local Arab Congregation that I hope to get you guys involved with (especially with the youth group). This will be major Middle East Cross-Cultural Studies 101 crash course!"
Sounds like fun!
A, 9:48 PM